Thursday, April 3, 2008

Week 12- Open Topic


Over the weekend, I made a terrible life decision. On Saturday night my friend Ross and I decided to go to the cinema. After browsing the film selection, we narrowed our list down to Drillbit Taylor starring Owen Wilson, Superhero movie and 21. All of which are as bad as the other, at least it was not Catwoman staring Halle Berry, which may possibly be the worst film of all time. After a 30 second debate, we decided to go and watch Drilbert Taylor as we honestly believed Owen Wilson would bring some humor to the story. We saw the film at The Movie Tavern on Hulen and I can honestly say that if I decided to watch the film at any other cinema, I would of hated the film, yet my friends Ross and Miller light made it somewhat enjoyable. While on the topic of films, I thought I would bring forth the topic of War films. Earlier in the semester Dr. Berger and I had a brief conversation over what are the greatest war films of all time, I stated my love for Francis Ford Coppola and his lengthy film “Apocalypse Now”. I truly believe that the struggles Coppola went through in order to make this film, are represented in the aesthetic beauty and feeling behind the film. If you ever get a chance, I would highly recommend Apocalypse now, yet if you really have the time, take a look at Hearts of Darkness, the documentary following Apocalypse now and understand how Coppola nearly ruined his career, marriage and life in making this war time thriller. After searching through numerous websites of the top ranked war films, it came to my attention that there are three films regularly regarded as the top dog of war films. Apocalypse now found its place to number one on AOL’s top list, while others suggest Steven Spielberg’s black and white classic, Schindlers lists. A true story about a man named Oskar Schindler who puts his life on the line to save over 1000 Polish Jews from their death in the holocaust. A remarkably and emotional story that will require a large box of tissues for viewing. The other top contender found on websites is Steven Spielberg’s Saving Private Ryan staring Tom Hanks as Captain John H Miller. Hanks leads a group of men uncertain of war into a WWII thriller, where they are in search of a brother who is missing and needs to be returned home. Everyone has a different perspective on “the greatest” war film. Below I have composed my top 5 war films of all time, if you get a chance, check them out. In the meantime, do you have a top 3 or even 5? If Rambo is in your top 5, please do not fill out the list; your opinion is not needed.

1. Apocalypse Now (1979)
2. Full Metal Jacket (1987)
3. Lawrence of Arabia (1962)
4. The Great Escape (1963)
5. Platoon (1986)

2 comments:

clcook said...

I just wanted to let you know that I have thoroughly enjoyed your posts over the past few week. They are so innovative and always tap into something I had been thinking but unable to express or put into words. Thanks!

DrB said...

I can't believe The_Deerhunter isn't on here....

I would also throw in Cold_Mountain. And okay I also like Shenandoah (Jimmy Stewart, 1965), both Civil War films...I think the scene of the Conscription Riots in Gangs_of_New_York should be required viewing for anyone who believes that the U.S. Civil War was Abolitionists vs. Slaveowners...

And I like Sergeant_York (1941, based on a true story), for what it has to say about heroism and why people fight, though I don't know that it's cinematically on par with Deerhunter or Apocalypse Now.

Mediterraneo (Spanish, 1991) is great in all ways.

I haven't seen Flags_of_Our_Fathers but would be interested in knowing what you think of it...